October 7, 2009
Dear Governor Doyle:
According to The Business Journal of Milwaukee, you plan to lead a trade mission to Israel this November on sciences, water technology and agriculture. You will speak at a water conference and are urging Wisconsin businesses to join you. You have directed the Wisconsin Department of Commerce to promote this trip.
Israel practices systematic, widespread racial discrimination in the allocation of water resources, both for human consumption and for agricultural use.
This is true inside Israel proper, where the 20 percent of citizens who are Palestinian Arab in origin are severely impacted by government water policies which discriminate against them in favor of Jewish citizens.
The situation is much worse in the West Bank and Gaza, where Palestinians living under Israeli military occupation are being deprived of their own water to the point where their lives and health are in jeopardy, in order to provide Jewish residents of illegal colonies built on Palestinian land with virtually unlimited water use.
The result is that the average Israeli uses 330 liters of water per day while Palestinians average 60 liters per day, below the minimum World Health Organization requirement of 100 liters per day.
This situation is in violation of many international laws, and of basic human decency. Wisconsin cannot “learn” anything of value from Israel regarding water use, nor should you be encouraging Wisconsin businesses to profit from the human suffering caused by such severe racism and discrimination. Please stay home.
Learn More (Note: some links have required updating since April 2012)
- The Middle East Children’s Alliance (MECA) Maia Project to provide children in Gaza with clean, safe drinking water
- Water in Gaza: it’s not a simple problem, The Electronic Intifada, 7 July 2010
- Wisconsin Trade Mission to Israel, December 2009, Wisconsin Department of Commerce
- “Doyle plans water trade mission to Israel”, Business Journal of Milwaukee, July 20, 2009
- “Doyle to lead trade mission to Israel”, Business Journal of Milwaukee, August 26, 2009
- Milwaukee Water Council
- The 5th International Water Technologies, Renewable Energy & Environmental Control Exhibition & the 2nd International Conference – November 17-19, 2009 – Tel Aviv, Israel
- Kinrot Technology Ventures, 27 July 2009
- Mekorot — the Israel National Water Company
- B’tselem Fact Sheet on Water in Israel and the Occupied Territories
- Ammar Askari’s Letter to Governor Doyle
- “Gaza’s Water Supply Near Collapse”, Inter Press Service, Sep 16, 2009
- Palestine Monitor Factbook
- Water for Life Campaign
- Stop Joint Water Cooperation between Los Angeles and Israel
- Israel rations Palestinians to trickle of water, Amnesty International, 27 October 2009
- Israel accused of rationing water to Palestinians, Patrick Moser, Agence France Presse, Oct 27, 2009
- ASSESSMENT OF RESTRICTIONS ON PALESTINIAN WATER SECTOR DEVELOPMENT, The World Bank, Report No. 47657-GZ, April 2009