A fundraiser by the Madison-Rafah Sister City Project
Our goal is to raise $10,064 to renovate a family apartment in the Tal al Sultan neighborhood of Rafah, where in 2005 we funded a playground for local children.
This family consists of a father, mother and three children. The father has become disabled and the mother works to try to keep the family afloat. Their small apartment is desperately in need of roof repairs, interior renovations to the main living area and bath, and the addition of another room — especially now that the cold and rains of winter have arrived.
The building condition directly affects the family’s health and well being. The family covers the roof panels with cloths to try to keep out the rain, but that’s not enough to keep the rooms dry. They cannot afford to repair the concrete ceiling.
The family was nominated by the Al Amal Society for Rehabilitation, a Palestinian Non-Government Organization in Gaza that has partnered with Rebuilding Alliance since 2017. Our grant will be transferred to and administered by this partner organization. Rebuilding Alliance’s Site Engineer, Heba El Khozondar, will supervise the project to sign-off for each phase.
The project will have three construction phases, each commencing as soon as enough funds have been donated:
▪ Phase 1: $3,080 Poured concrete roof repair
▪ Phase 2: $3,555 Main Living Space
▪ Phase 3: $3,429 Adjacent new room
You can also mail a check to MRSCP marked “house repairs” to
P.O. Box 5214
Madison, WI 53705
Mailed contributions will NOT count toward the Global Giving match on November 29.
As always, thank you for your support.
• Israeli raids in Gaza and the humanitarian fallout, December 16, 2022
• Gaza archaeologists find ‘complete’ Roman-era cemetery, 12 December 2022
• Caged Sparrows: Palestinian Stories from the Gaza Sea, December 12, 2022
• Israeli warplanes attack Gaza as EU calls for ‘accountability’, 4 Dec 2022
• Photos: Gaza struggles to accommodate the living and the dead, 6 Oct 2022
• Fifteen years of the blockade of the Gaza Strip, 03 July 2022