- An online embroidery workshop with textile artist Wafa Ghnaim
- Wednesday, March 10
- 5-7 PM Central Time
- Hosted over Zoom videoconferencing
- Register for Online Class
Supplies are listed here: https://www.tatreezandtea.com/supplies under “Aida Cloth”.
After you pay, you will receive an automated email with all the information you need to get connected to the Zoom call. If you prefer to pay by mail or over the phone, please call (608) 924-4000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
For Zoom troubleshooting questions, click here.
Join textile artist Wafa Ghnaim for a two-hour introduction into the beautiful and ancient art of Palestinian tatreez embroidery! Tatreez is often used to decorate the traditional Palestinian dress, called a thobe, but also adorns many other kinds of household and decorative objects. Different villages and regions within Palestine have their own traditional patterns, and Wafa has a wealth of knowledge to share about this history! In this 2-hour virtual class, students will learn how to embroider the Beyout (Houses) motif from el-Khalil (Hebron) to create a bookmark. Learning objectives include:
- How to thread a needle.
- The meaning and history of the pattern in focus.
- How to start a tatreez sampler. Instructions are listed here
- Color selection and strategy.
- The basics of traditional Palestinian embroidery cross-stitch, including two different methods of stitching and the principals of successful Palestinian embroidery execution.
- Stitching strategy to execute the cleanest motif on fabric.
- Tips & tricks unique to the motif.
Patterns are sent 24-48 hours in advance of the class. No experience is required. This class will be recorded and made available after the live session. Please contact Wafa at email@example.com with any questions.